November Newsletter November 07 2016
- Sleep, Exercise, and Eat Your Way to a Stronger Immune System
- Simple Tips For Using Tofu and Tempeh
- Ginger Tempeh
- Superimmune Jello
October Newsletter October 07 2016
- How To Avoid Post-Thanksgiving Bloat/Indigestion
- What is Aquafaba?
- Lemon Meringue Pie with Aquafaba Meringue
- Autumn: The Season To Shape Up
September Newsletter September 07 2016
- The Power of the After School Snack
- Stress – Its Underlying Cause
- Autumn Vegetable Soup with Cheesy Toasts
- How To Tell When Your Child Is Stressed
Photo Courtesy of BBB Food
August Newsletter 2016 August 08 2016
* The Goodness of Colourful Summer
* Summer Stress Syndrome
* Sample Summer Menu
* Healthy, Local Heritage Foods
July Newsletter July 07 2016
Nutritional Psychiatry: Your Brain on Food
6 Ways to Save Money While Eating a Healthy Diet
Sauteed Mushroom Salad
Holistic Nutrition to Tune Up Your BrainEating Well
June Newsletter June 05 2016
May Newsletter May 05 2016
- Why Organic Food Is Critical For Children
- Menopause and Stress—Is this Normal?
- One-Pan Salmon With Roasted Asparagus (From BBC Food)
- Organic Gardening Quick Tips
April Newsletter May 04 2016
Cancer Prevention: 6 Tips To Reduce Your Risk
Spring Shape Up
Rainbow Roots Slaw with Tahini-Cilantro Dressing
March Newsletter March 07 2016The Gut Benefits of Chocolate, Wine and Beer
Gut Health: Diet of the Rich Vs. the Poor
Beet Detox Soup
5 Awesome Benefits of Doing a Cleanse
February Newsletter February 11 2016
- Diabetes: 3 Key Factors For Stable Blood Sugar
- Berberine: New Help for Heart Disease and Diabetes
- Honey-Soy Broiled Salmon
- Red Pepper Black Bean Soup
Photo courtesy of Eating Well Magazine
January Newsletter January 06 2016
- Will 2016 Be The Year? Stop Dieting - Start Building Health!
- What’s So Great About January?
- Sweet Potato Veggie Soup With Sauerkraut
December Newsletter December 07 2015
November Newsletter November 07 2015
- Increasing Our Friendly Microbes to Fight Colds and Flus
- Healthy Eating On The Go
- Salad Art
- Nut Butter Cookies
September Newsletter September 07 2015
- Benefits of Wine—More Than You Know
- Brenda’s Apple and Pomegranate Crisp
- Healthy Snacks and Lunches
- Tips for Fall Fitness
August Newsletter August 08 2015
- The Health Benefits of Plums
- Top 10 Reasons to Shop at a Farmer's Market
- How To Stay Cool In the Summer Heat
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
Photo Courtesy of Semiswede
June Newsletter 2015 June 08 2015
10 Holistic Skin Care Tips
Eat Your Strawberries
How Does Yoga Relieve Chronic Pain?
Mexican Bean Salad
Photo courtesy of allrecipes.ca
May Newsletter 2015 May 07 2015
- 25 Organic Gardening Tips
- Cashew Asparagus Rice Pilaf
- Rhubarb: A Healthy Spring Treat
- Artificial Sweeteners and Obesity
Photo Courtesy of Yummly.com
Where Are Healthcare Dollars Going To Be Spent? May 04 2015
A couple of facts for you...
Fact 1: In 2013 a staggering $29 Billion of Canada's health care budget was spent on pharmaceutical drugs and most of this annual spend on medications was increasingly concentrated in the elderly population for the treatment of a few chronic diseases and conditions.
Fact 2: It is estimated that within 2 years (2017) the number of seniors (age 65+) in Canada will outnumber the number of children (age 0-14) for the first time in Canadian history.
This means that as holistic practitioners, we are positioned to play a critical role in understanding the root causes of these common chronic conditions, and having effective protocols to deal with them proactively- well before medications are prescribed- which will be increasingly critical for our aging population.
The top two chronic disease and conditions are heart disease and Diabetes and account for most of the prescriptions for the elderly.
Common Drug Intervention
Commonly Noted Nutrient Deficiency (partial list)
Implications to Wellbeing and Health
Zinc, Magnesium, Co-Q10, all B Vitamins
Slow wound healing, irregular heartbeat, memory loss, disrupted sleep, candida, IBS
Glyburide, Metformin, Insulin
Co-Q10, B6, B12, Folic Acid
Memory loss, frequent infections, liver damage, heart disease, fatigue
Pharmaceutical intervention for many of these conditions have a dramatic impact on the proper functioning of the gastrointestinal and neurological systems. This dysfunction often leads to the prescribing of more and more medications.
An intriguing example of this downward spiral is the legacy of prescribed low-fat diets and cholesterol-lowering drugs which now are being explored in relationship to Type III Diabetes - a condition now thought to be a pre-cursor to Alzheimer's disease.
Join Wendy Morley, RHN, during the "Feeding The Brain-Gut Connection workshop as she discusses the issues and what we can do for this growing demographic.
See here for details: >>> Click Here
Attend The Aging Brain to learn more about how chronic diseases and conditions and the long-term use of pharmaceutical interventions impacts the elder population and their neurological health...
This is just one of 5 keynote addresses where you will receive a practical, cutting-edge education on:
- The Key factors affecting the brain-gut connection in our current environment
- The practical strategies used by fellow holistic nutritionists in practice with clients
- Plus, participate in case study discussion to learn how to apply the research as well as implement key foods and nutrients to client protocols
- And much more...
Early Bird Ends Midnight May 15th
Offline event is being held on June 6th
Online Event is being hosted on May 30th and 31st (Replay is automatically sent)
Spaces are highly limited, check here for details: >>> Click Here
We hope to see you there!
The Fastest Growing Diseases In Children April 25 2015
Anxiety, depression, Autism and ADHD are among the fastest growing diagnoses in children. As Holistic Nutritionists we have a strong role to play, coaching parents on how to harness the power of diet to improve brain function in their kids.
Jessica Sherman's keynote address during the ""Feeding The Brain-Gut Connection" workshop will elaborate on a world in which the sales of drugs to kids - particularly for stimulants and psychotropics for depression and ADHD - is the fastest growing pharma sector with few studies done on the long term effects of these meds on the developing brain.
Find out more here: >>> Click here
Studies have shown that stimulants and psychotropics can lead to problems with sleep, growth, and appetite. As holistic nutritionists we can see the obvious downstream consequences of these side effects, such as hormone dysregulation and nutrient deficiency.
Studies also show that side effects of these drugs include obesity, diabetes, personality changes, and metabolic syndrome - the very same issues plaguing our health care system.
And yet, prescriptions for mood altering medications in children has increased 5-fold in the last 15 years and are now being given to over 10,000 preschoolers.
Join Jessica Sherman, RHN, during her Pediatric Brain-Gut Connection presentation to get a clearer, practical insight into how symptoms of altered brain activity are related to digestion, absorption and nutrient deficiency, and how Holistic Nutritionists can help parents find first line therapies and reduce the need for these possibly dangerous medications.
Offline event is being held on June 6th
Online Event is being hosted on May 30th and 31st (Includes Replay)
Spaces for both a strictly limited: >>> Click here
We hope to see you there!
April Newsletter 2015 April 06 2015
- 6 Cancer-Fighting Superfoods
- Gut Bacteria May Help Combat Cancer
- Spring Chicken in a Pot
Photo Courtesy of Good Food
March Newsletter March 05 2015
- Top 12 Detox Superfoods
- Meditation For Rebuilding The Brain
- Spinach and Avocado Salad with Cranberries and Toasted Almonds
Picture Courtesy of Door-to-Door Organics
February Newsletter 2015 February 02 2015
- Artificial Sweeteners, Blood Sugar and Obesity
- Vitamin C and Heart Health
- Chocolate Souffle with Warm Fudge Sauce
January Newsletter 2015 January 07 2015
- The Benefits of the Mighty Kiwi
- Avoid Your New Year’s Resolution FAILURES with These 12 Fat Loss Tips
- Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese
- 6 Tips to Beat The Winter Blues
December Newsletter 2014 December 06 2014
- Welcoming Winter With Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables
- 7 Holiday Tips to Prevent Over-Indulging
- Beer Beef Stew
- Gluten-Free Pecan or Cranberry Shortbread